Tuesday, November 28, 2017

1. Frankly I don't think I liked it much. It seems to have this air of the importance of true humanity and how the removal of suffering makes for a weaker existence that I don't particularly relate with. The setting of Disney World as well, despite probably having some significance in it's choice that I simply haven't gotten to yet, feels like an attempt to force a reaction of "Hey I know that!!" every time you read the name of a ride as opposed to a place of familiarity to anchor you to the world that's being built.

2. I got only into the first two chapters, but there wasn't really anything jumping out at me. It might just be that I've heard to seems so very often that they just don't seem to impactful, but the ideas of Reputation Currency, a world without death being one without meaning, and something intrinsically human being lost with modern technology are all one's which have me worn out. The protagonist(?) consistently marks his conversations with dan using phrases like "He was right, but I still defended myself." that make both of them feel less like a character and more like an author trying to direct me on exactly how to feel about the world views of the two characters.

3. At the point where I'm at, the easiest would be film. My general code of thinking about adaptations is based on "How much would you have to alter the real world to accomplish this?" and in this case it's hardly at all. At the same time you could achieve a much stronger visual contrast in general by using effect-modified versions of real world objects and locations than you would by drawing or depicting it artistically. As of the second chapter, there aren't many things you would need to change, but there's almost an impossibility of getting the legal rights to use Disney World. An adaption to a more localized or fictional variation would be an absolute necessity.

No comments:

Post a Comment